Being a grown up sucks sometimes. Like on Friday mornings when your alarm goes off at 5:15 and you were out at the bar drinking vanilla rum and diet Coke with your friends on Thursday night. And then your boyfriend makes fun of you for having to go to work on a beautiful Friday when he has off, and you picture him frolicking in a field of dandelions with your dog while you sit at a desk with a single lightbulb dangling by a thread over your head, surrounded by piles of paper, dust, and dirty coffee mugs.
My office doesn't look like that, but it feels like it.
ANYWAY... it got me thinking about being a kid, and early mornings, or days off and the awesome television that isn't on anymore. And so, here is what I would have marathon viewings of today if I were home with my boy and my pup, eating sugary cereal, and waiting for the milk to get all sweet so I could slurp it out of the bowl.
1. The Muppet Show: Some of the guests and the costumes really date this show, but overall, it's still really funny and entertaining. The humor is timeless, and one of my favorite segments is the ballroom dancing with the one-liners. Corny and hilarious. The Swedish Chef? Come on. He's funnier now than he was when we were kids. Also... Mahna Mahna.
You're welcome. :-)
2. Looney Tunes: It is frustrating and heartbreaking to me that Looney Tunes aren't on anymore. If anyone knows of a channel who reruns them, please let me know. Again, far more entertaining for adults than children, because they weren't made for kids in the first place. There are episodes that I have seen probably 1,000 times that I will still laugh at. Bugs Bunny as the Matador. "Heeeeeey! Quit steamin up my tail!!!" Bugs and Daffy and the Abominable Snowman. "Gosh it's hot..." Foghorn Leghorn and Prissy. "Happy husband huntin' deary!" I'm giggling right now just thinking about it. Bugs got a bad rap somewhere along the way, but that's crap. Compared to the garbage that's on today, I think kids would still be into Bugs. Scooby has survived, so why not?
3. USA Cartoon Express: This was great because it was a whole bunch of cartoons smashed together. JabberJaws, Grape Ape, Captain Caveman, Huckleberry Hound, Josey and the Pussycats... the USA Cartoon Express really didn't have any bad cartoons. They were a bit low-rent compared to some of the flashier stuff, but they were still so entertaining, in the same way kids will be more interested in playing with the giant box that the giant toy came in.
4. Fraggle Rock: "Dance your cares away!" *clap clap* 'Nuff said.
5. The Smurfs: Little blue people who live in mushrooms and sound like they've been sucking helium. It doesn't get better. And I regularly have the urge to shout, "Johann and PEE WEEEEEE!" No one knows that, cuz I don't do it. In public, anyway.
What would your 8-year-old self watch tomorrow morning, when you wake up at the ass-crack of dawn and plunk yourself down in front of the TV, waiting for your parents to get up?